Milele's Archive

Friday, February 14, 2014

The fear of the Black Man

I grew up around Black Men of different ages, beliefs, cultures, temperaments and economic status. All of them beautiful, loving, kind, strong and valuable members of the community. I did not grow up with my biological father in my life but I never missed him or felt a lack because of it. I knew that if I was in trouble help was always a shout or phone call away. Black men taught me about politics, gardening, cooking, magic, music, dance, culture, hunting, camping, Afrikan history and to be a strong self reliant woman. “A woman needs to know how to use a hammer just like a man needs to know how to cook” was the motto that permeated my up bringing. The men in my life ranged from militant to military; comical to cosmic; stout to statuesque and each of them means the world to me. My life with black men was not uncommon, neither were my experiences with black men. This is the norm.
With all this being said I did and still do understand “the fear of the black man”
The fear of the Black Man is a strong force that pulses through the Afrikan community and engulfs every aspect of american life. The fear of the Black Man is that of justice and retribution to a nation that has exploited, used, abused and molested the body, minds and spirits of black men for centuries.
So often conditioning propagates the black man as a shiftless, barbaric animal that doesn’t deserve respect or human(e) treatment. Consequently black men are treated inhumanely and disrespected constantly socially, economically, spiritually, physically, mentally and politically. Black men are thought to be expendable and used for a tool.
“The fear of the Black Man ” causes desensitization towards black men and black boys and their problems and plights.

However lets talk about the truth… The fear of the Black Man is
Being beaten, harassed or arrested when he is pulled over by the police
Being seen as a threat no matter what he wears, how much he hunches over or softens his voice
Being twice as qualified and receiving half the pay
Being vilified for human mistakes
Being emasculated and berating because of someone else’s insecurities
Not being able to provide for & protect his family/community without external consequences
How to raise our sons to be strong but not “too strong” and kind but not “too kind”
The fear of the black man or the Black man’s fear is real and it is what keeps me hugging, kissing and telling my sons each day they are valuable, loved, intelligent, beautiful… feared and hunted.
As a black woman, mother, wife, sister, cousin, lover and friend I can not help but feel The fear of the Black Man  and I fear for all black men


 

No comments: