Milele's Archive

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Dancing Frees Me



A friend shared with me this piece about the first time they met me...





"She came to dance; alone she took the dance floor.
Like a pendulum her hips swayed,

Sending vibrations stronger than winds from all four corners.
Her neck rolled to the rhythm, head turning freely,

with no concern that she was alone on the dance floor.

Her black is beautiful.

Locs hanging like vines of the jungle as she showed what true nature was.

She danced."






For me dancing is a way of connecting to spirit, healing, releasing, communicating and arousing the energy in myself and others.  From very young we are bobbing our heads, clapping our hands and moving our feet to the beat; it just comes naturally to us.

Throughout history people have used song and dance as intricate parts of their lives and culture to mark and celebrate significant transition in life.  Dancing has also been used to send people into spiritual trance, enlightenment, sacred sexual rites, and as a way to initiate special into different spiritual systems.


If you have come across me around some good music you know that I dance WHEREEVER I am.  Sometimes it is the words, sometimes it is the beat, sometimes it’s the emotions of the artist but it is always something that is sparked within me to move.

Fast, slow, grinding, stepping, African, with a group of people or all alone.  I connect to the music and let it take me on a journey of mind, body and spirit. My body expresses my pleasure with the music, the vibe, the people… life.  It is good and fulfilling. I love when people join me on this journey but I also love to take it alone without reservations or restraint.


I love to flow with the music allowing it to move through me and use me to express itself in human form (Yeah.. It’s like that). Unless I’m interested in sharing that moment with someone else I never notice who is watching, who else is dancing or even the effect I may be having on people.  But there are times (whether Im interested or not) that I can hear the music calling itself forth in others wanting to be expressed through them and I gravitate to them and we dance as one expression to the music and the energy of that moment.  It is very personal and not personal at all.


Dancing is arousing, sensual, pleasurable, erotic, spiritual, captivating and empowering.  I think we all should dance more every chance we get.  You will see in my series "Confessions... of a" how much music and dancing is a part of the experience in the stories and poems.

I just have one question: Will you dance with me?




 


1 comment:

AHD said...

I will dance!!!!